Congo commutes death sentences for U.S. citizens in failed coup

The death sentences of three U.S. citizens convicted for their role in a failed coup in Democratic Republic of Congo in 2024 have been commuted to life imprisonment.
The Americans were among some 50 people, including U.S., British, Canadian, Belgian and Congolese citizens, who stood trial last year following the botched attempt to overthrow the government in May.
A total of 37 defendants were sentenced to death by a military court in September, including U.S. citizens Marcel Malanga, Tyler Thompson and Benjamin Zalman-Polun.
All three were found guilty of criminal conspiracy, terrorism and other charges.
They denied any wrongdoing and unsuccessfully appealed against the verdict. But Congo’s justice ministry then proposed a pardon, which the public prosecutor requested from the presidency.
On Tuesday, President Felix Tshisekedi signed three orders to commute their sentences to life in prison, his spokesperson Tina Salama said on national television.
“This presidential pardon is a first step that promises major changes in the future,” one of Malanga’s lawyers, Ckiness Ciamba, said by telephone.
Relatives of Malanga and a lawyer for Zalman-Polun did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Thompson’s parents declined to speak on the record.
Marcel Malanga is the son of U.S.-based Congolese politician Christian Malanga, who led the armed men who briefly occupied an office of the presidency in the capital Kinshasa on May 19 before security forces killed him.